The Renault Clio is known as a sports supermini, it is actually a hatchback. Some of the problems in the Clio’s history include poor initial quality, which Renault claims to have overcome in its third generation redesign for the vehicle (starting in 2009). However, parts will fail even with the best redesign, including the alternator. learn how to remove the alternator from a Renault Clio.
Steps to remove the alternator from a Renault Clio
You can learn how to remove and replace it yourself, just follow the tips in this article:
- Get in front of the Clio. Use the front jack point located behind the radiator.
- Place a jack stand under each of the front thumb welds. You can also use the front crossbar or frame to support the vehicle. Then get ready to lower the Clio onto the cat’s paws.
- Take the tension off the alternator belt.. Place the socket wrench on the automatic tensioner on the opposite alternator pulley and move the pulley with the socket wrench and a breaker bar on the handle of the socket wrench. The tensioner will only move in one direction.
- Slide the belt off the alternator pulley.
- Unplug the electrical connector that goes to the alternator.. Squeeze the release tab and pull the connector out of the alternator plug.
- Support the engine with a jack while you remove the upper engine mount. Unbolt the top motor mount.
- Gently raise and lower the engine as needed to access the alternator bolts and remove them.
- Finally remove the alternator from the engine compartment.
If in doubt about how to remove the alternator from a Renault Clio consult a service manual for further help if you need it.