Over time, your Ford Focus’s air conditioning system may start to blow hot air or take a long time to cool down your vehicle, both of which are signs that the air conditioning needs to be recharged. Here we will tell you how to recharge the air conditioning in a ford focus.
You may well choose to take your car to a mechanic, but this can be quite expensive. The alternative is to buy a can of R134a refrigerant that has a hose included and recharge the system yourself. Once you’ve followed all the necessary steps and finished recharging your Ford Focus’s air conditioning, you’ll have fresh air in your vehicle again.
Steps to recharge the air conditioning in a Ford Focus
The air conditioning system in a Ford Focus may start to blow hot air or take a long time to cool down your car after a while, both of which are signs that the air conditioning needs to be recharged.
- Let the Ford Focus cool down for at least half an hour before starting any work under the hood.
- Locate the service fittings on the air conditioning unit. Consult the vehicle owner’s manual to find the exact location. The high pressure union is located on the hose that goes from the compressor to the condenser. In addition, the low coupling is located on the suction hose that goes from the accumulator to the compressor.
- Connect the recharge hose and valve to the refrigerant can. Instructions are located on the side of the coolant can.
- Open the valve on the refrigerant can by turning the valve. This punctures the top of the can while releasing a small amount of air and coolant. Be sure to close the valve to prevent refrigerant loss. Connect the service hose, while holding the can upright, to the low side fitting.
- Start the vehicle engine and put the air conditioner on the highest position. Open the valve on the refrigerant can so that the vapor enters the air conditioner. It helps to have someone else sit in the car and wait for the air to cool down, otherwise you’ll have to check the air conditioning every few seconds.
- Continue to charge the air conditioning system until the entire can of R134a is emptied or until the air has reached maximum cold. Close the coolant valve and turn off the engine. Disconnect the can from the low side accessory. Repeat this process when necessary.
You already know that if your AC blows hot air or takes a long time to cool down your car you can recharge the air conditioning in a Ford Focus yourself.