It is convenient to change the spark plugs of a vehicle periodically, in this way you will always achieve optimal performance of your car. In this post you will learn how to change the spark plugs on a toyota rav4.
The Toyota RAV4 vehicle first entered the American automotive scene in the year 1996, although Japan already had it in the previous year. The initial RAV4 came with a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine that managed to produce 120 horsepower.
Toyota redesigned the RAV4 for 2001, giving it more distinguished lines and a sleek, streamlined appearance. The 2001 RAV4 leaves the factory with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that made 148 horsepower. You should know that Toyota encourages replacing spark plugs on the 2001 RAV4 periodically every 120,000 miles or 192,000 kilometers.
How to Change the Spark Plugs on a 2001 Toyota Rav4
The steps you need to take to replace the spark plugs on a 2001 Toyota RAV4 are as follows:
- Check the gap at the base of the new spark plugs with a spark plug gap tool.. If the gap in any plug is not between 0.039 and 0.043, replace the plug with a new one. Do not try to adjust the distance between the plugs.
- Open the two latches on the passenger side of the air filter box.. Pull the front half of the airbox toward the front of the engine and push to the side. Pull the air filter out from inside the air filter box, as this allows you to easily access the ignition coil packs.
- Disconnects the wiring harness from the top area of a coil pack. Remove the bolt that secures the coil pack using a ratchet and socket, and pull the coil up from the engine to remove it.
- Remove the spark plug using a 6-inch socket, torque wrench, and have the new spark plug handy.
- Hand tighten the new spark plug into the RAV4’s engine with a torque wrench, 6-inch extension, and spark plug.
- Apply a minimal amount of dielectric grease to the rubber or rubber boot at the bottom of the ignition coil. Push the coil gasket over the new plug until it clicks into place. Tighten the coil pack bolt with a torque wrench, a 6-inch socket and a spark plug wrench. Reconnect the cable assembly to the top of the battery.
- Replace all four spark plugs, repeating steps 4 through 7 on all four spark plugs.
- Put the air filter back where it was originally located.. Reposition the front half of the air filter box and close the latches to properly lock it in place.
This way you can change the spark plugs of a 2001 Toyota RAV4 easily and without complications.
Items you will need
The items and tools to use are:
- Spark plug gap tool
- Phillips screwdriver
- Ratchet with its set of socket wrenches
- 6 inch extension
- New spark plug
- dielectric grease
- torque wrench