If your Ford Focus won’t start and you know the battery and alternator are okay, the problem could be with the ignition system. In this post we will talk about the steps to change the ignition switch on a ford focus.
The ignition switch is a complete cylinder inserted into the steering column that connects to the starter motor. When an ignition switch is changed, the key is also replaced.
How to change the ignition switch on a Ford Focus?
If your Ford Focus won’t start and you know the battery and alternator are okay, the problem could be with the ignition system.
When there are starting problems on a Ford Focus the ignition switch may be the cause of the problem. If you discover that the ignition switch in your Focus has gone bad and you want to replace it here we will walk you through the steps necessary to change the ignition switch in a Ford Focus.
- Remove the dashboard panel located under the steering column of your car; it should be screwed on. Remove the top steering column cover by unclipping its clips with a flat-blade screwdriver.
- Look for the audio control switch, a small device protruding from the steering column that acts like a remote. If there is one, loosen the plastic locking pin on the switch with the screwdriver and unplug the electrical connector to remove the switch.
- Loosen the steering column by releasing the locking lever, and remove the lower steering column cover by removing the screws with a screwdriver.
- Use the ignition key to turn the switch to the left, the position that would activate the accessories but not start the car. Insert the screwdriver into the hole at the top of the cylinder to depress the retaining spring, then pull out the cylinder with the key inside.
- Insert the new key into the new ignition switch, and align the switch inside the steering column so it is in the same spot the old switch was when you removed it. Make sure the retainer snaps into place; then turn the switch so that it is in the “Off“.
- Replace all covers and panels you removed to access the cylinder, along with the audio control switch, if applicable, in the reverse order of their removal.
You can read: My Ford Focus Won’t Start – All Possible Causes!
Now that you know how to change the ignition switch on a Ford Focus you should know that older Ford Focus models may have a different method of removing and changing the ignition switch. Consult an automotive guide for the particular year and model.
Always disconnect the negative (black) battery cable before working on the ignition or any other electrical components on your vehicle.