If the ignition switch on an F-150 is damaged or failing, that means it’s time to replace it. In this post you will learn how to change the ignition switch on a ford f-150.
The F-150 is the designation of Ford Motor Company for your half ton truck. Your Ford truck’s ignition switch is mounted on the right side of the steering column.
The ignition lock has a position of “accessory” which can be activated when the key is turned counterclockwise from the position of “off“. The radio, windshield wipers and other accessories can be operated in this position without having the engine running.
If the key is turned clockwise from “off“, the first click is the position “run“, which activates all the electrical circuits of the truck. Turning the switch clockwise from “run” the starter motor will be activated.
Steps to change the ignition switch on a Ford F-150:
- open the hood. Loosen the nut on the negative battery cable with an adjustable wrench turned counterclockwise. Do not remove the nut. Lift the cable off the battery post and push it to the side. Wiggle the cable in a back and forth motion to release it from the battery post if necessary.
- Insert the key into the ignition lock and turn it to the “run“.
- Straighten out a small paper clip and insert one end of it about 2 inches into the small hole located on the steering column directly below the ignition lock.
- Pull the ignition key from the steering column and remove the key.
- Insert the key into the new ignition lock. Place the ignition key on the steering column. Turn the key to position “off” to lock the switch in place.
- Reattach the negative battery cable to the negative battery post until fully seated. Tighten the nut in a clockwise direction. Close the hood.
- Ask your Ford dealer to set up a new ignition lock so you can use your old key. Aftermarket switches are less expensive and come with two keys, but you’ll still need to use the old keys to open the doors.
- If your ignition switch spins around, even without a key, switch replacement is the answer to cure this problem.