Hello!,good night. In this post you will discover a description of fuses and relays Error P0406 – how to fix?
Include with pics of box diagrams and their locations. Highlighted the cigarette lighter fuse (as the most used thing people look for).
Get useful information on Assistance fuses, replacing a fuse, and more.
Code definition P0406
P0406 is a generic ODB2 error code indicating a fault in the exhaust gas recirculation EGR circuit. This code is similar to P0400, P0401, P0402, P0403, P0404, P0405, P0407, P0408, P0409.
What does the code P0406 mean?
P0406 indicates that the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) sensor A has a high circuit voltage. The ECU detects this high voltage and the Check Engine light comes on. The Check Engine warning light will illuminate in the instrument cluster.
What causes the P0406 code?
- EGR valve failure
- Excessive build-up of carbon
- Open or short circuit in the wiring harness
- Bad electrical connection
- Leakage in the EGR valve vacuum line
What are the symptoms of the P0406 code?
- In most cases, the driver may not notice any symptoms other than the check engine light coming on.
- Some vehicles may experience slight fluctuations in engine RPM and RPM.
- In rare cases, pinging may occur under the highest load and the engine may shut down.
How can a mechanic diagnose the P0406 code?
- Use the scanning tool to check history, pending and current codes.
- Record freeze frame data such as vehicle temperature, runtime, and load at the time the fault occurred.
- Deletes the code
- Performs a road test in an attempt to duplicate the data conditions from the frozen frames.
- Perform a visual inspection for damaged or worn hoses, damaged vacuum hoses, and loose electrical connections.
- Use the scan tool to see the EGR position during start and run, and the manifold pressure.
- Check for a build-up of carbon in the EGR valve that is preventing the valve from opening and closing properly.
Common errors when diagnosing the P0406 code
Diagnosing the P0406 code can be a simple affair or turn into a nightmare if the diagnosis is not followed step by step and all the necessary steps are taken. This may cause the real problem to be overlooked and unnecessary repairs made.
How serious is the P0406 code?
The P0406 code has a wide range of symptoms which may differ from just the check engine light coming into the vehicle not keeping running or driving poorly. Use caution when driving vehicles with driving problems.
The P0406 code should not prevent the vehicle from being driven to a safe location after the fault has occurred.
What repairs can fix the code P0406?
- Replacing the EGR valve
- Repair or replace wiring harness as needed.
- Repair poor electrical connections
- Replace the vacuum hose
- Clean up any excess carbon build-up
Additional notes regarding code P0406
- In some cases, the EGR valve and the system can be cleaned. There are specialized cleaners that break down the coal so that it can be cleaned.
- Follow the instructions on the cleaner, but some EGR valves may have carbon removed and work properly instead of needing to be replaced.