Hi-ya!,good morning. On this page you will see a description of fuses and relays Error P0141 – how to fix?
Include with photos of block diagrams along with their locations. Highlighted the cigarette lighter fuse (as the most common thing people look for).
Get tips about Program fuses, replacing a fuse, and more.
Code definition P0141
O2 Sensor Heating Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
What does the code P0141 mean?
P0141 is a generic OBD-II code which indicates that the engine control module (ECM) has tested the O2 sensor heater circuit and detected a problem with the oxygen sensor heater circuit Bank 1, Sensor 2.
What causes the P0141 code?
The ECM tests the O2 sensor heater circuits on initial start-up and detects a short, open, or excessive current draw on the bank 1, sensor 2, sensor 2 heater O2 circuit.
What are the symptoms of the P0141 code?
- The engine may be running on too rich a mixture because the engine is in an open circuit.
- The engine may run poorly and start fouling the spark plugs, causing misfire.
- The Check Engine light will come on.
How does the mechanic diagnose the P0141 code?
- Check electrical connections or harness shield to O2 sensor 2 bank 1.
- Scan the codes and document the data from the frozen frame, then erase the codes to verify the fault.
- Monitors O2 sensor data to verify that the heater circuit is operational for bank 1 of sensor 2.
- Checks power supply to the O2 sensor heater circuit
- Verify that the O2 sensor heater circuit has the appropriate resistance against specification
- For further diagnostics, spot tests recommended by the manufacturer should be performed.
Common Errors Diagnosing Code P0141?
Follow these simple tips to avoid misdiagnosis:
- Check for water ingress into the O2 wiring harness causing a short circuit in the sensor.
- Check the O2 sensor for oil or coolant contamination from engine leaks.
- Check the new O2 sensor to make sure that the heating circuit is working properly after the replacement.
- Check the removed O2 sensor for damage caused by a faulty catalytic converter that interrupted the sensor or clogged the sensor openings.
How serious is the P0141 code?
- The code is for the sensor behind the catalyst on the engine bank 1.
- The O2 sensors are the fuel control feedback that the ECM needs to properly control the injectors.
- The ECM can remain in open loop until the O2 system is repaired or the O2 sensor is restarted.
- An engine stuck in open loop will run very rich, burn more fuel, and start warming up.
What repairs can fix the code P0141?
- Clear fault codes and perform a road test to try to verify the fault.
- Replace O2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 2
- Repair or replace the wiring or the bank 1 O2 sensor connection to the sensor 2 sensor.
- Replace the O2 sensor heating circuit fuse.
Additional notes regarding the P0141 code
The bank 1 2 O2 sensor heating circuit is used to heat the internal parts of bank 1 2 O2 sensor only, and the code can only be isolated to this sensor.