In the event that the water pump of your Ford Windstar is damaged, your engine will no longer be able to be cooled. This is because the engine will not be able to receive the necessary coolant from the radiator. here you will learn how to change the water pump on a ford windstarwith all the steps you must follow.
When the water pump of your Ford Windstar is damaged you will have to change your old water pump for a new one. To do this head to your auto shop to pick up a part, making sure you get the correct size and model you need for your Ford Windstar.
How to Change the Water Pump on a Ford Windstar
The steps you must follow to change the water pump on a Ford Windstar are as follows:
- First of all you must open the hood of your Windstar and try to find the battery cables. Use a wrench to remove the bolts that hold the cables in place. Then proceed to disconnect the negative cable from the battery terminal.
- Take a drain pan or a simple bucket and place it just below the radiator drain plug located at the bottom of the radiator. Remove the drain plug and try to drain all of the coolant into the bucket.
- Use a screwdriver to loosen the bolt (or screw) that is tightening the tensioner on the drive belt itself.. You should know that this will take care of loosening the drive belt and allow you to remove it from the car. Also find the lower radiator hose and use a wrench to loosen the bolt that secures the clamp around the hose. Then remove the hose clamp and next you need to disconnect the hose from the water pump.
- Remove the bolt attached to the water pump tensioner with the help of the screwdriver. Then slide on the water pump strap and use a wrench to loosen the four mounting bolts (or screws) that secure the water pump in place. then shere the damaged water pump of the car.
- You must clean the new joint and then rub it with a thin layer of grease. Take the new water pump and place it in the same place you removed the old one complete with retaining bolts. Locate the water pump belt on its tensioner and proceed to press the bolt to keep it in place.
- You need to put the radiator hose on the water pump and secure it in place by tightening the bolt around the hose clamp. Place the drive belt on the drive belt tensioner and secure it in the same place the pump belt should go.
- Now you have to remove the radiator cap and put the coolant in the radiator. Again put the battery cables back on the terminals, securing them in place with the bolts. Finally, start the engine so that you can check that the water pump is working correctly.
Items you will need
The things you will need to change the water pump on a Ford Windstar are the following: